Bara brith is a Welsh traditional sweet bread, which incorporates tea and dried fruits.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3-4 tea bags (the stronger the better)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, etc)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg
- butter, for greasing pan
- Brew the tea bags in 1 cup of boiled water for 5 minutes, gently squeeze the tea bags. Add sugar and dissolve. Pour over dried fruit and let sit over night or for about eight hours.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Stir in one egg and the soaked fruit, including liquid.
- Grease or line a loaf pan.
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake at 350ºF for 90 minutes.
- Turn out on a cooling rack. You may add a sugar syrup or jam to the top at this point.